New California Republic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the NCR forums

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aloezye

Aloezye

Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE Empty
PostSubject: Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE   Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 pm

This is a good as thread as any to introduce myself
Hi i'm Aloezye , new guy, pretty much a Fallout and a zombie franchise fanatic and you are the mixture between both which is F'in awesome and I like how you guys are organized !
So basically what i do in this thread is give info on how to be prepared if a real zombie apocalypse were to happen c:
Stay tuned and feel free to comment and help out in the making of the BE PREPARED GUIDE

The content of this text is original and some was taken from several sources,compiled and rewritten by yours truly.

Also check it out on the ZP Forums and help make it better~ http://blog.zombiepandemic.com/Forum/tabid/65/aft/4454/default.aspx

Bug-out Bag or BOB
Anyone who has seriously thought about Z-day should seriously think about getting them self a BOB!

A basic BOB should contain the following!

-A high quality knife: A knife that is relatively large paired with one that can be used for dexterity situations can help you out a lot.At least a 12" one !! Some of the larger blades can be used to cut large tree limbs and even trees down.Also in a self defense situation you much more likely to survive if you break out a pretty gnarly blade.The smaller one can be used for day to day situations (such as a swiss army blade).
-Water: You are going to need atleast 3 days worth of water which is about 3 gallons of water (One gallon per person per day)!Also try and obtain water filters (You will need them eventually)!
-Food : You are going to want 3 days worth of food, this can be done with MRE's or simple things like cans of tuna,beans or even peanut butter.Try to get the tin packaging because it can be used for the improvised water boiling!
-Clothing: You are going to need at least 2 pairs of shirts/socks/underwear/jeans/shorts. Hats, boots and gloves will be good choices to add as well as a poncho for rain.Also prepare for how hot or cold your environment might get with thicker or lighter clothes.
Use denim jeans,shorts,jackets and durable shoes (You are going to be running a lot)!
-Fire Starters: Matches dipped in wax can be water proof.High quality lighters( at least 2) and lighter fluid can be light and easy to carry (Zippo lighters)
-Toilet paper:For obvious reason.Baby wipes will also work well if you can keep them from drying out
-First aid kit:Just a basic kit will get the job done ( try to get a medical book while you're at it)
-Flashlight and spare batteries:Get a high quality, light flashlight and then stock up on lithium batteries.(You could also get a if the hand-cranked one)!
-Excedrin:This will help for basic headaches because some of us may go through caffeine withdraws
-Lip balm and sunscreen:If you dont want to be hassled by your body
-Fishing line, hooks, tackle, and a pole that can be collapsed:In most places there will be water and fishing can be done for food
-Para-cord:Make sure you get the real deal stuff and have at least 50 ft of it.
-Duct tape: Its useful for EVERYTHING (Get 2)
-Hygiene: You are going to need toothbrush, tooth paste,floss, soap and shampoo!
-Garbage bags and Ziplocks
-Sleeping bag
-Multi tool
-Pencil and a Notebook:Because you may need to write things down
-Compass and topographical map:The compass so you can tell were your heading and the map because every place will have places of different elevation!
-Watch:Because of cell phones many of us don't carry watches on us now a days.This can help you delegate you time.
Solar powered / Hand cranked radio [ suggested by- brianlost]
-Optional items:All these items are optional not because you might or might not need them but because of weight I did not include them in my BOB!

Tent
Small pot for boiling water (can be improvised from empty tins)
GPS
Survival books as in edible plants in your area or simple trap making
Collapsible shovel

-A good BOB:There are a few good BOB's ,if you are not able to obtain one improvise (tie multiple bags together,be flexible with your ideas)!!

My Bug-out Bag contents scheme
Food and Water:
3 Baked Beans Tins = 1.5 kg( empty tins can be used to boil water in)
3 Soup Tins = 1.5 kg
10 Tuna Tins = 1 kg,
5 Litres of water = 5kg
5 MREs = 2.5 kg
All Food and Water = 10.5kg, Total = 30 kg
Miscellaneous:
Sporting Winchester Model 52 with scope = 3.5 kg,
100 .22 bullets = 3 kg,
Large First Aid Kit including medical book = 1 kg,
4 Lighters,1 box of matches = 0.05 kg,(try to get atleast 1 Zippo lighter,and dip the matches in wax that way,when burnt, they wont go out by a raindrop,drop of water,etc.)
10 Metres of Thick Rope = 5 kg,
Short Wave Radio = 0.25 kg,
Portable Water Filter 0.5 kg, (cant stress out how important this is)
3 Towels = 0.1 kg,
Spray Can = 0.25 kg,
20 AA Batteries = 0.5 kg,
4 Litres of Unleaded Fuel in Heavy Containers= 5 kg,
Soap/Disinfectant = 0.5 kg,
90x Scope Binoculars = 0.75 kg,
Playing Cards = 0.025 kg,
2 Journals = 0.25 kg,
Stationery = 0.075 kg,
Mug = 0.25 kg,
Frying Pan = 2 kg
All Miscellaneous = 17 kg, Total = 48 kg
Tools:
Large Hammer = 1 kg,
Big Nails = 1 kg,
Buck Knife = 0.25 kg,
2 Small Swiss Army Knives = 0.05 kg,
Phillips Head Screwdriver = 0.1 kg,
Duct Tape = 0.1 kg, (seriously you can use it anywhere,anyhow, try to get 2
Super Glue = 0.1 kg
All Tools = 2.5 kg, Total = 50.5 kg
Clothing and Bedding:
Sleeping Bag = 1.5 kg,
Waterproof Jacket with Hood = 1 kg,
2 Heavy Shirts = 0.12 kg,(by heavy i mean the ones that can absorb a lot of sweat and still have somewhat of a good smell,and can keep you moderately warm)
Boots = 1 kg,
2 Bandanas = 0.05 kg,
Denim Jeans = 0.25 kg,
3 Underpants = 0.01 kg,
3 Socks = 0.01 kg,(best wear 2 socks at a time,you wear the dirty one on the outside the clean one on the inside while the third one is washing up and just repeat)
Denim Shorts = 0.1 kg,
Sneakers = 0.25 kg,(something you feel comfortable but still has plenty durability for long distance running)
Scarf = 0.3 kg, to protect against blood splatter
10 Surgical Masks = 0.01 kg,( to protect against zombie diseases)
All Clothing and Bedding = 4.5 kg, Total 54 kg
Bag:
Large Waterproof Backpack with Frame = 2.5 kg
All Bags = 2.5 kg, Total = 56.5 kg
Total Weight of Bug-Out Bag = 56.5 kg or ~ 100 lbs

Please Note: This is my ideal BOB, but many things in it I don't actually own. If Z-Day comes before I am able to get some of the above items I don't have like MREs, rifle, radio, portable water filter or surgical mask, I guess I will have to scavenge for substitutes. Scavenging is certainly not ideal, but it will have to do.

Useful links:
http://eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Master.htm

On-person gear:
This is the recommended gear and dress load out for every person (male or female),if possible be obtained personally before Z-day!

Torso and legs:
Now you may think im gonna lecture you on how you need to go full out tacticool in your dress but that isn't the case. if you're a blue jeans and white t-shirt kind of guy that is more the fine.You just want your clothing to be durable and comfortable to you. Camo may not be useful against zombies but you may find yourself battling raiders or the need to blend in to your surrounding area so you may avoid an overwhelming force and such.
Personally I recommend wearing a heavy t-shirt (by heavy i mean the ones that can absorb a lot of sweat and still have somewhat of a good smell,and can keep you moderately warm),a denim jacket and denim jeans/shorts (depending on the weather).Denim is quite durable and flexible and will give you protection you need in the first days.Now I find it funny how in the movies everybody is wearing light clothes and get injured or killed every now and then.Dont follow that.The world has gone to hell and you are free to go all 'Mad Max' on it.Get some roller-blading/skateboarding fall equipment for protection,later when you have a safehouse make yourself an improvised metal plating or such(it may slow you down a little bit, better to be slow than being infected/dead)

Headgear,Hands,Legs:
For headgear its best to stay simple.A good cap will block the sunlight from beating into your eyes and face.If you want to go further try to get those riot helmets that are shatter-ressistant and provides a good blood spatter armor(wearing an army helmet will not really help you out that much against zeds)! .Wear a scarf over your face!Don't be cocky and wear headphones and blasting music this isn't about having fun its about survival.
Gear for hands is pretty easy to scavenge for.Try to obtain leather gloves as they are flexible and durable.You can wrap some thick cloth around your shoulder and elbow area(the biceps muscle).
Again I ain't saying you need full out tactical boots but again I do recommend you wear shoes that are durable and again comfortable. You may be marching long distances, or running to save a team member from impending doom and cannot afford a blow out or a rolled ankle. Extra pairs of socks should also be carried.Any steel plated boots are a must for dangerous areas, how you gonna run from zeds if you ain't got no feet?

Weapons:
(if you have guns)
You will want one primary weapon that should be a high capacity battle rife like the AK-47 or AR-15 or even a high capacity .22lr (I don't recommend them because of the noise,try a M4A1 with silencer or even go for a good SMG like a MP5 also with a silencer)!If you're the designated marksman a bolt action rifle may be your choice(my personal favourite-Sporting Winchester Model 52 with scope,.22). You may be the CQC(close-quarter-combat) guy and your weapon may be a shotgun and a blunt melee weapon. There may be a need for a distance silent killer and if you don't have silencers you may be outfitted with a bow (not easy obtainable).
Secondary weapon should be a high capacity handgun that is very reliable and durable.If you have no access to handguns get yourself a good melee weapon such as an iron baseball bat or a collapsible shovel!

(If you're a hand held guy)
I recommend what every melee weapon you get it be HIGHLY durable and you become very comfortable with it.Axes are fine but the handle and the steel may become loose.Hammers are pretty much an all around tool-good for bashing nails and brains.A knife that is relatively large paired with one that can be used for dexterity situations can help you out a lot. some of the larger blades can be used to cut large tree limbs and even trees down. also in a self defense situation you much more likely to survive if you break out a pretty gnarly blade.The smaller one can be used for day to day situations (swiss army blade). Shovels are pretty big and just wont do in CQC, try to obtain a collapsible one which is both blunt and slash potent.Pierce weapons such as a pitchfork or a spear could be well used for throwing and a mid-range melee but same as a normal shovel they aren't usable in CQC!

Vest,"Inventory":
Nothing allows you to organize gear and ammo as well as a tactical vest, chest rig, or a duty belt. For AR-15's , M4's and AK's you should carry at least 3 mags plus one in your gun.For bolt action rifles, shotguns, and bows you should carry as much ammo as possible. Same applies to your hand held weapons.You can easily equip many to a vest or belt (but stay cautious on the weight). For most missions near your safehouse I recommend carrying at least 2liters of water handy (You may need to bunk out in a building or a house)!

Survival plan/Get away plan:
This may differ so I will state my survival plan and if you don't have one base yours after mine.
First things first, I have to round up as many survivors in the area as possible. Our group will be willing to accept anyone except those found guilty of some horrendous crime. By horrendous crime I don't mean stealing a car, I mean murdering people. In fact, car theft will be handy if we need to hotwire some abandoned 4WDs. Most of the houses in my part of the suburbs are one story with thin walls and big windows, so it will be best to take the group to the house with the best attic. The attic will not be a possibility on a hot day in the midst of summer, when the temperature up there can exceed 50 degrees. After 12 hours, or until dawn, we will begin to leave the attic and gather supplies and weapons. In the Balkan area, where I live, guns will be very hard to come by so bats,hammers,axes and slingshots will be the main weapons. With our gear ready it will be time to hit the road toward the wilderness because there is less population there,few houses (easy to establish a perimeter and secure the houses,plenty of gardens = vegetables = FOOD) and great flexibility in constructing a defense.If we encounter any resistance from the owners (if they are dead we lure them out and kill them outside of the house) we incapacitate them and drive them off in a unknown direction in the woods and leave them with the basic survival gear (survival of the fittest,you go with the flow or you are carried by the stream, kind of aditude). We will start fortifying the houses and build a perimiter around them (fences and the like),from that point its basic zombie movie stuff-Surviving!

Zombies:
There has been a lot of talk lately about what will kill a zombie,so I have decided to make this note on the details.
Because I feel zombies will not be the "rise from the dead" eat your brains zombie or the Resident Evil zombie that can live forever this will actually increase your chances of killing them. The most logical strand of zombie we see, is it being something like 28 days/weeks later. This is a mutation of rabies which causes the brain to swell and adrenaline to course through the zombies body. Their sense of touch and sight will be horrible but smell and hearing will be better. When it comes to pain,think of them as "Crack heads" they wont feel it and even tough you may have put a .45 in their chest they will keep coming!

They will infect a person by a bite and mixing their saliva and your blood,by a blood drop that accidentally falls onto your eye, by getting their saliva/blood into your mouth or by getting their saliva/blood into any open wounds you might have.One bite and you can say goodbye!

They may be somewhat sensitive to bright lights and will reside in dark places such as underground tunnels,sewers,buildings with no sources of light,etc. as seen in "I am alive"
but will not be afraid to step/run into it and will not seek immediate shelter from it.

Now I will break down what and what will not kill a zombie!

-Water: Zombies will not be able to swim because they will not have dexterity in their limbs. This will cause them to drown and die.They may still be deadly for a few minutes but walking under water like on 'Land of the Dead' will not be possible.Don't mistake them for cats and expect them to flee from water-they can stand in shallow water!
-Fire: Lighting a Zombie on fire will kill it BUT if its in the early stages it will be faster and stronger then you so you may create a bigger problem for yourself.They wont feel the pain of being on fire but it will destroy their body, killing them in minutes. In the meantime tough, they may be able to catch you and if not bite you then definitely catch you on fire!
-Bullets: A bullet to the head is a GUARANTEED KILL.Something like a 12 gauge slug to the chest will definitely slow it down but it may be able to keep biting for a few minutes. .45's to the chest will act similar but they may still be active for about 10 minutes. If you put multiple 9mm bullets in the zombie chest it will react similar to .45 bullets. Arms and leg shots will barely slow a zombie. I come back to the pain thing, which they don't feel.No matter how F'd up they may be, they will still be coming at you with all they got! Death will most likely be days for that scenario (bleeding out).
-Melee: To kill a zombie with this, You will need to swing hard and fast! Kill shots will be crushing the skull/ brain or destroying the spinal cord.
I hope this has cleared up the best ways to kill zombies.
They may not feel the pain but they will die as any normal human being would.

Tips for Surviving

You’d best learn how to deal with your future human flesh-eating neighbors now. Here’s some practical advice to get you started with before and after tips for survival.

Don’t get infected. That’s the first, and most important rule. If you do get bitten by chance, you can either off yourself, or tell your friends. There’s really no other choice, unless you’re aye okay with becoming one of the undead. “Hey guys, guess what just happened to me?” Don’t worry, I'm sure your friends will be very gentle with that axe, or that chainsaw, or that sawed-off shotgun...you get the point.
However if you do react quickly enough you might just stop the spreading of the infection.
(Below the tips)

As politically incorrect as this might sound, avoid fat people. They’re just going to slow you down and get you killed. In zombie vernacular, someone who is morbidly obese is simply referred to as “an afternoon snack,” or as they say in England, “tea time”.

You might want to think about getting a boat, and staying near a large body of water. Zombies aren’t known for their graceful swimming ability. Really, when the attack commences (and you know it will), rather than running through the forest or a city street that looks like a war zone, wouldn’t you prefer to just hop in your boat, sail out into the middle of the lake or the bay and give those pesky zombies the bird? “That’s right, you stupid corpses. I learned how to swim at the YMCA! What about you?”. If its not an option choose a forest as your residing place and build a lot o booby traps.

Bomb shelters might seem like a good idea at first, but if you’re surrounded by the undead, you’ll eventually run out of food and have to come out. Use a bomb shelter only in a last ditch effort to save your life!
Use common sense. Don’t elect a psychopath as your leader, and always keep your group together. This isn’t a ‘Scooby-Doo’ mystery — you’re trying to stay alive. No matter how tempting it is, never split up. There’s strength in numbers. When it’s just you and 120 zombies, your odds of survival are decreased significantly.

If you’re really worried about being caught unaware, you might want to zombie-proof your house. This might seem like going overboard, just a bit, but there are worse things you could do with a lazy Sunday afternoon. A zombie wake-up call inside your bedroom just before you’re off to work can be very unpleasant, to say the least. Always BE PREPARED!

Have a back-up for everything. Back-up generators, batteries, ammunition, food, escape routes, weapons supplies, vehicles, leaders and so on, ad infinitum. When the gooey zombie juice hits the fan, every second counts. By the time you say, “Now where did I leave my extra gun clip,” some bloody zed just back from the dead will have already ripped your arm or your head off!

You’ve got to be smart out there, and stay ahead of the pack. Remember, the dead don’t sleep. If one of them catches you snoozing on the job unprepared, it will simply add you to the zombie ranks, or turn you into an all-you-can-eat buffet.

How to react if bitten
You've been bitten. Congratulations!
If you don't act quickly you will be dead or worse.
First things first- you've been bitten and the infection is probably already spreading through the infected limb, (if you've been bitten by the neck,torso,head kiss survival goodbye),now all you got to do is amputate the limb(no I am not joking).
You probably have up to 10-20 minutes to get it done.
What you are going to need- A blunt object to break the bones
- A sharp object to tear trough the arteries,muscle and the nerve
- A tourniquet to stop the blood flow
- A first aid kit
- Balls
- Balls
- Balls

I'm talking about courage,not actual balls.
The willpower to cripple one-self in such a small time must be pretty high I cant even try to imagine what i would feel like in that kind of situation... would I rather kill myself or try to survive?
I don't actually know too much about this so I will refer you some links where you can learn about it.
It would also be good to have someone in your survival group who is skilled in such things to help you trough it or actually do it.
They could knock you out or you will pass out from the pain I guess and do it while you are in that state.

Useful links
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/amputation.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amputation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XLoQ1xYB0&feature=player_embedded

What is a raider and how to deal with them

What is a raider
There is always talk about the fine line between survivor and raider so i have decided to define what a raider really is.
Soon after the zombie Apocalypse things may go back to that of the Wild West days. Spread out towns that trade among each other may become a way of life but with no official Law in the land Bandits from those days or Raiders as we call em now a days will pray on the weak.

A survivor is one who takes goods that no one has claimed ownership to. This can be found in abandoned grocery stores, gun shops, military bases, houses, and even dead people.In case you didn't notice the key word is abandoned.
Raiders are those who chose not to prepare and have decided to take what they need. This may be as simple as coming into an owned home (by a survivor) and taking food from them. Or they can be as evil as coming and taking your daughters to be treated as sex slaves.
Most of them probably wont think twice to shoot you and you should be very cautious around them.

How to deal with a raider
When encountering raiders try to observe them for a few hours (days if possible/needed) to see how they act around one another.If they are friendly maybe you can make them see it your way and ask them to join you/your group.If they are not try to avoid them especially if you are outnumbered!You probably wont get them to talk if you are cornered altough it can happen.In that case don't make any sudden moves or reach for a pocket.Show your hands at all times and keep a calm,friendly tone of voice while trying to establish some kind of socializing with them.

Above info is all subject to change and additional info may be added in the near future!Every change will be noted in the update post!Spread the word and BE PREPARED!
Later things to expect:
Basic guide on how to Fortify
How to form a survival group

Please share your toughts and opinions so far.
If you would like me to add something in the future say the word and i'll see what can be done Smile

-Aloezye,NCR

Last edited by Aloezye on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Aloezye

Aloezye

PostSubject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE   Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 am

[1st update post!]
-Fixed the grammatical errors
-Added text to On-person gear >Weapons
-Added text to Zombies
-Added a new section Tips for surviving and a sub-section How to react if bitten

If you would like me to add something in the future say the word and i'll see what can be done

-Aloezye,NCR
Back to top Go down
Aloezye

Aloezye

PostSubject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE   Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:38 am

[2nd update post!]
-Fixed more of the grammatical errors
-Added a new section What is a raider and how to deal with them
-Made small changes in the On-person gear section

If you would like me to add something in the future say the word and i'll see what can be done

-Aloezye,NCR
Back to top Go down
Chief Pacifism

Chief Pacifism

PostSubject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE   Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Damn! Looks like I'm Pretty Screwed Ey?
Back to top Go down
Aloezye

Aloezye

PostSubject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE   Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Better safe than sorry, you can start preparing today if you wish to keep yourself occupied..I find myself extremely bored in summer so yeah rabbit
If you don't think the zombie apocalypse will happen keep the BOB in mind because its good for almost any disaster (earthquake,tornado,volcano etc) and keep it by your door so you can grab it and run
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE   Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE Empty

Back to top Go down

Zombie Apocalypse - BE PREPARED GUIDE
Page 1 of 1